Founder Chats is brought to you by Baremetrics: zero-setup subscription analytics & insights for Stripe, Recurly, Braintree and any other subscription company!
Like this episode? A rating and a review on iTunes would go a long way!
This week I talk with Ryan Carson, Founder of Treehouse! In this episode we talk about moving to England on a whim, learning how to manage a team, starting a conference company, how Ryan found his true calling, what’s wrong with education today and more!
- 2:05- Powerful life skills
- 3:56- Y2K Solutions
- 5:45- How upbringing influenced journey in helping others
- 6:30- “Things can be taken away as quickly as they can be earned”
- 7:30- Karma
- 8:10- Interacting with humans…Just be nice!
- 9:20- You have to have healthy conflict to be effective
- 10:00- Clear expectations
- 10:30- Resources for management
- 12:00- Learning how to be a manager the hard way
*Book Recommendation*: The Speed of Trust
- 13:20- Trust is built, not earned
- 14:50- “You don’t need a college degree to succeed anymore”
- 15:38- Pre-Treehouse…Moving to England!
- 19:20- Starting the first company
- 21:55- Fallback plan for the next “thing”
- 22:40- How to Build Enterprise PHP Web Apps
- 24:30- Creative Fight Club
- 28:04- Right time, right idea
- 30:10- Sold $10k sponsorship to Adobe
- 30:50- Wake up call!
- 31:45- Change more lives
- 32:48- Transition in business plan/scope
- 33:38- Think Vitamin and the beginning of Treehouse
- 36:50- Creating talent
- 37:35- Staying focused
- 38:48- How Treehouse has changed from the Think Vitamin blog creation to now
- 41:05- “The purpose of my life is to empower other people”
- 42:02- The next year for Treehouse
How to reach Ryan: Twitter