Tracking SaaS metrics is essential for growing a subscription business over the long term. But how do you know whether a subscription analytics platform like Baremetrics, ChartMogul, or FirstOfficer is right for your business?
In this post, we’ll compare the capabilities, ease of use, UI, customer support, and price of these platforms. Read on to discover which analytics platform is the best fit for your SaaS or subscription business.
Baremetrics is a subscription analytics tool for SaaS companies. The platform’s unified dashboard tracks dozens of SaaS metrics that can lead to data-driven decisions that propel a business forward.
In addition to subscription analytics, Baremetrics offers automated dunning and engagement features essential to growing a SaaS business. Turnkey and customizable email campaigns enable you to scale your customer engagement efforts to reduce churn, increase MRR, and more.
Baremetrics analytics and metrics
ChartMogul is a subscription analytics tool to help companies measure their revenue and other metrics in an accurate and straightforward way. The platform provides advanced data editing capabilities and visualization options like charts to uncover new insights.
ChartMogul does lack many features that help users take action on the insights generated, meaning many SaaS companies will need to pair it with another platform for automated dunning and revenue recovery. In the long run, it can be challenging and expensive to manage multiple platforms.
ChartMogul metrics and analytics
FirstOfficer is a revenue operations tool for subscription businesses. It’s used to manage business finances in real-time. The platform is focused on bringing together accounting, banking, and billing data into a single tool.
While FirstOfficer has a lot of capabilities for financial management, it doesn’t dive deep into customer profiles, cancellation reasons, trial insights, and other aspects of subscription reporting. SaaS companies would need another tool to track and improve customer engagement and revenue recovery.
FirstOfficer metrics and analytics
Compared to ChartMogul and SaaSOptics, Baremetrics offers the most comprehensive set of features essential to growing a subscription business, all in one tool.
|Main Focus||All-in-one growth toolkit for subscription businesses: metrics, analytics, insights, dunning (revenue recovery), and advanced financial forecasting||Subscription metrics and analytics||Revenue operations for subscription companies|
|Trial Length||14 days||14 days||N/A|
|Dunning (revenue recovery) Solutions||Comprehensive automated dunning solution (Recover)||No automated dunning capabilities||No automated dunning capabilities|
|Churn Insights||Cancellation Insights feature shows you the reasons why customers cancel and the revenue lost for each reason||No feature for collecting insights about why people churn.||Retention curve and cohort analysis, but doesn’t specifically track why people churn.|
|Reporting||Smart dashboards with powerful drag-and-drop capabilities.Inspiring and intuitive UX and UI.||Visualization options for charts and dashboards (only higher tier plans)||Metrics, dashboards, and custom reports available.|
|Integrations & Data Import||Direct integrations with Stripe, Braintree, Recurly, App Store Connect, Google Play, Shopify Partners, and Chargebee.Data import from other sources possible via the Baremetrics API or third-party connections.||Direct integrations with Stripe, Braintree, Recurly, App Store Connect, PayPal, Chargebee, GoCardless, and Google Play.Data import from other sources is possible via their Import API or through their partner SaaSync.||Direct integrations with Quickbooks, Xero, Stripe, Plaid, and more.|
|Data Segmentation||Segment by customizable attributes enriched by Clearbit.||Segment by customer tags and other attributes.||Segmentation analysis for cohort reports.|
|Support||Customer support available through live chat and email. We guarantee a response within five minutes during operating hours (M-F, 9am-5pm CST). Our team also provides account reviews and onboarding of all tools at no additional charge.||Support included for all price tiers.||Support included for all price tiers.|
Data Sources and Integrations
- Baremetrics offers integrations with leading platforms and can import data via API / CSV.
- Popular Baremetrics integrations include Stripe, Recurly, Chargebee, Shopify, and much more.
- The Analytics API can be used to integrate Baremetrics with nearly any other service.
- Baremetrics can integrate with Slack to send important updates about business metrics.
- Chartmogul provides multiple integrations and data can be imported via API and CSV.
- Popular integrations include Recurly, Stripe, Chargebee, and some other tools.
- Chartmogul’s API can also be used to build custom integrations.
- FirstOfficer provides integrations for accounting, billing, and banking platforms.
- Popular integrations include Quickbooks, Xero, Stripe, Plaid, and other tools.
- FirstOfficer metrics are available via REST API.
Custom Reporting and Data Augmentation
- Baremetrics reporting is easy to customize with drag-and-drop features.
- Smart Dashboards enable you to see the metrics that matter to your business.
- Segmentation allows you to filter customer data by over 25 attributes.
- Augmentation helps you discover deeper business insights by integrating external data.
- Trial Insights improves your conversion rates by monitoring customer behavior.
- Forecasting lets you project MRR, cash flows, number of customers, and more.
- ChartMogul provides a few advanced data editing and data enrichment features.
- Data can be segmented using attributes, tags, and filters.
- There are visualization options to create unique charts (only with higher-tier plans).
- FirstOfficer provides options for custom charting and metrics.
- There are features for segmentation and deep cohort analysis.
- 14 day free trial
- Pricing is based on MRR
- Core features toolkit starts at $129/month
- Core features plus automated dunning/revenue recovery (Recover) starts at $198/month
- Core features plus automated churn insights (Cancellation Insights) starts at $258/month
- Core features + automated dunning + cancellation insights starts at $327/month
- Advanced forecasting is not priced based on MRR, is priced at $1000 per month
- 14-day free trial
- Pricing is based on MRR
- Free for businesses with less than $10k/month MRR
- $100/month up to $10k/month, plus $25/month for each additional $10k of monthly MRR
- $15k/year for businesses with over $6 million annual run rate
- $100/month Pro subscription includes all integrations, unlimited users, and core features
- Per-user pricing available via Accounts Program
- Custom enterprise pricing also available upon request
Which Is Right for You: Baremetrics, ChartMogul, or FirstOfficer?
As you can see, there are some key differences between these three platforms, so it’s important to choose the one that best fits your business needs.
ChartMogul offers data analytics and segmentation capabilities, but there aren’t many features for taking action on these insights. While FirstOfficer has comprehensive revenue operations capabilities, the lack of customer profiles, cancellation insights, trial data, and other features is a drawback for many SaaS companies.
Baremetrics is a simple and powerful analytics tool that tracks all of the most essential metrics for SaaS and subscription businesses. The platform goes beyond just analytics by also offering automated tools for dunning, churn insights, advanced financial forecasting, and scenario planning.
Sign up for a free trial to discover how Baremetrics can improve your SaaS business today.