Subscription reporting is the key to growing a SaaS business, but how do you know which analytics platform is right for you? Baremetrics, ChartMogul, and SaaSOptics are three popular solutions to consider.
Read on to learn more about the differences between these platforms in terms of capabilities, ease of use, UI, customer support, and price. This will help you decide which tool fits the unique needs of your SaaS or subscription business.
Baremetrics is a metrics, engagement, and dunning platform built from the ground up for SaaS and subscription companies. The platform’s Smart Dashboards provide a simple and intuitive view of your metrics to drive smarter business decisions.
Besides tracking SaaS metrics, Baremetrics also provides automated capabilities for improving revenue recovery and reducing churn. By giving you the dunning and customer engagement tools you need to take action, you can adopt a data-driven approach to scale your SaaS business.
ChartMogul is a SaaS analytics tool for measuring, understanding, and growing subscription revenue. The platform is primarily focused on providing accurate metrics that can be viewed using data analysis tools and charts.
While ChartMogul has a lot of great visualization features, it doesn’t have as many features for taking action on the data when compared to a platform like Baremetrics. That means SaaS companies will likely need to pair ChartMogul with another platform for automated dunning and revenue recovery.
SaaSOptics is a platform for subscription management, revenue recognition, expense tracking, and SaaS metrics. The platform focuses on B2B SaaS companies that require a wide range of financial reporting capabilities.
However, with so many options comes complexity. In contrast, Baremetrics focuses on the most essential metrics and offers automated features. The result is a much simpler learning curve that reduces the time required to start generating insights.
Compared to ChartMogul and SaaSOptics, Baremetrics offers the most comprehensive set of features essential to growing a subscription business, all in one tool.
All-in-one growth toolkit for subscription businesses: metrics, analytics, insights, dunning (for revenue recovery), and advanced financial forecasting
Financial operations for B2B SaaS companies
No trial offered
Dunning solutions for revenue recovery
Comprehensive automated dunning solution (Recover)
No automated dunning capabilities
Collections and dunning features are optional add-ons.
Cancellation Insights feature shows you the reasons why customer cancel and the revenue lost to each reason
Churn recognition as it occurs or at the end of the month
No feature for collecting insights about why people churn.
Smart Dashboards with powerful drag and drop capabilities
Visualization options for charts and dashboards (only higher tier plans)
Financial reporting, metrics, and analytics.
Integrations and data import
Direct integrations with Stripe, Braintree, Recurly, App Store Connect, Google Play, Shopify Partners, and Chargebee.
Data import from other sources possible via the Baremetrics API or third-party connections.
Direct integrations with Stripe, Braintree, Recurly, App Store Connect, PayPal, Chargebee, GoCardless, Google Play.
Data import from other sources are possible via their Import API or through their partner SaaSync.
Integrates with customer relationship management (CRM) platforms, accounting software, payment processors, and more. Many integrations are an add-on.
Segment by customizable attributes enriched by Clearbit
Segment by attributes, tags, and filters
Data slicing and dicing available for some reports.
Advanced forecasting features automate your financial model, scenario planning, and forecasting using your accounting data and SaaS metrics.
Forecasting capabilities are limited to Committed MRR forecasting
Forecasting is not offered.
Customer support available through live chat and email
Support included for all price tiers
Support available via email or within the app.
Data Sources and Integrations
- Baremetrics provides out-of-the-box integrations with popular services.
- Leading integrations include Recurly, Stripe, Shopify, Chargebee, and many others.
- Baremetrics can integrate with other services using the Analytics API.
- Baremetrics integrates with Slack to provide important updates about business metrics.
- ChartMogul offers integrations with some platforms and can import data via API / CSV.
- Popular integrations include Stripe Recurly, Chargebee, and a few others.
- The ChartMogul API can be used to build custom integrations from scratch.
- Integrations are available for customer relationship management (CRM) platforms, accounting software, payment processors, and more as add-ons.
- API is another add-on available.
Custom Reporting and Data Augmentation
- Baremetrics reporting is easy to customize with drag-and-drop features.
- Smart Dashboards enable you to see the metrics that matter to your business.
- Segmentation allows you to filter customer data by over 25 attributes.
- Augmentation helps you discover deeper business insights by integrating external data.
- Trial Insights improves your conversion rates by monitoring customer behavior.
- Forecasting lets you project MRR, cash flows, number of customers, and more.
- Flightpath enables you to forecast revenue, expenses, and bank balances.
- ChartMogul offers some data editing and data enrichment capabilities.
- Data can be segmented using attributes, tags, and filters.
- There are various visualization options to create unique charts (with higher-tier plans).
- SaaSOptics tracks hundreds of B2B SaaS metrics.
- Reports can be pulled on revenue, invoicing, accounts receivable, and more.
- Cohort Reports can be sliced and diced in many different ways.
- 14 day free trial
- Pricing is based on MRR
- Core features toolkit starts at $129/month
- Core features plus automated dunning/revenue recovery (Recover) starts at $198/month
- Core features plus automated churn insights (Cancellation Insights) starts at $258/month
- Core features + automated dunning + cancellation insights starts at $327/month
- Advanced forecasting is not priced based on MRR, is priced at $1000 per month
- 14-day free trial
- Free for businesses with less than $10k/month MRR
- $100/month up to $10k/month, plus $25/month for each additional $10k of monthly MRR
- $15k/year for businesses with over $6 million annual run rate
- Pricing options for small startups to large companies with $100M+ in revenue
- Collection and dunning features are an optional add-on
- Many different integrations are optional add-ons as well
Which Is Right for You: Baremetrics, ChartMogul, or SaaSOptics?
While all three platforms are built for SaaS and subscription businesses, each one has different strengths and weaknesses depending on what you're looking for.
ChartMogul offers data analytics and segmentation, but it doesn’t provide many features for taking action on these insights. SaaSOptics has comprehensive features for B2B SaaS companies and might be a bit complicated for small to mid-sized companies.
Baremetrics is an easy-to-use analytics platform that tracks all of the most essential metrics for SaaS and subscription businesses. The platform also goes beyond subscription analytics by providing automated tools for dunning and churn insights, as well as advanced financial forecasting and scenario planning.
Sign up for a free trial to discover how Baremetrics can improve your SaaS business today.